I love Birthdays. I guess because I love parties and cake, and any excuse to break
from normal routine and celebrate. Growing up, a birthday cake usually meant
a box cake mix, but we looked forward to it with great anticipation.
To me, that flavor elicits memories of home, family, and good times.
This simple recipe captures that flavor and it is just right for any birthday party.
The yummy part, cereal coated in white chocolate and vanilla frosting,
tossed in powdered sugar and white cake mix.
The cereal coated in multi-colored non-pareils just screams "party!"
|A word of warning: it is very hard to stop eating Birthday Cake Chex Mix,|
so be sure to share!
Birthday Cake Chex Mix
18 servings (1/2 cup each)
9 cups Rice Chex or Corn Chex (or combination)
1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
1 cup ready to spread vanilla frosting
4 ounces multi-colored non-pareils candy sprinkles
¾ cup powdered sugar
¾ cup boxed white cake mix
1 package birthday candy cake decorations
1. In a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave white chocolate chips on 70% power for 45 seconds and stir well. Heat for an additional 20 seconds longer or until mixture is smooth without any lumps remaining. Pour melted chocolate over cereal, tossing to coat.
3. In a small microwavable bowl, melt vanilla frosting for 15 seconds on high power and stir. Heat frosting for seconds more if needed for smooth consistency. Pour over cereal and stir until evenly coated. Note: Do not melt chocolate and frosting together or the chocolate will seize.
4. Put 2 cups of cereal in a 1-gallon food storage resealable plastic bag and add the non-pareils. Shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
5. Put remaining 7 cups of cereal in 2-gallon food storage resealable plastic bag. Add the powdered sugar and cake mix. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
6. Place all of the coated cereal and the candy cake decorations in an airtight container to store.